The Division of Agency is frequently viewed as the Fleet’s bureaucratic arm, which is predominantly true. Citadel governmental oversight is a big part of this division’s duty, but so is the morale and social well-being of personnel. Originally, the social scientists, anthropologists and archeologists served in the Science division. The primary departments (sub-divisions) of Agency are:
- Diplomacy [Dipl] - the diplomatic corps brokers treaties, disputes and negotiations between Confederacy members, commercial entities and rogue organizations. Fleet ambassadors serve as official representatives of the Citadel government to political entities. Recruitment of viable candidates for the Academy and for enlistment is a task assigned to this department.
- Regulations [Regs] - the legal department is responsible for creating and overseeing Fleet codes, procedures and laws as well as Citadel law adjudication over Confederate members and colonies. Fleet accountants work in this department, often in conjunction with economists from the Theoretics department.
- Logistics [Logi] - organizing the daily operations of a ship or station is complex. Communications from within and without need to directed appropriately and interactions with third parties to complete missions must stay on task. Everything from eating schedules and flight operations to making a rendezvous with a replenishment ship requires a high degree of coordination.
- Recreation [RsRx] - Morale is important to maintain aboard ship and station, especially during long voyages between missions. Entertainment and off-duty activities are organized by rest and relaxation officers and crew.
- Social-Antrhopology [SoAn] - Once part of the Science division, the study of culture and
Uniform Color: Ruby
Military forces are illegal for any colonial government, corporate entity or individual to have. The Citadel Fleet has, as one of its primary responsibilities, the enforcement of galactic law when needed. It is provided with the tools to do so with armed starships to defend interstellar travel and highly trained troops to maintain protection of the people on the ground. The Tactical Division is the mighty arm of Citadel law.
The primary departments (sub-divisions) of Tactical are:
- Security [Secr] - this department is the police force of the galaxy. They serve as public constables for every colony and operate as investigators of crime as well as law enforcement when needed. Onboard starships and bases they work as the primary disciplinary officers and investigators into internal safety issues and work closely with the Regulations department on internal affairs. This department is also in charge of the armory and weapons lockers.
- Rangers [Rang] - this department contains the combat soldiers of the Fleet. Actual military conflicts between colonial governments have been few and far between, but the perpetual threat of piracy and insurrectionists requires the Fleet to dedicate considerable resources to battling these rouge and militarized forces. Onboard ships and bases they serve secondary roles as backup constabulary for the Security office. However, military code puts the Rangers in charge of situations of "significant combat threat” onboard vessels in place of security.
- Infiltration [Infl] - is in charge of espionage, undercover operations and military scouting missions. These operatives are naturally secretive causing endless rumors and conspiracy theories to abound. It is not uncommon for this department to work closely with the Diplomacy department.
- Gunnery [Guny] - are the crew and officers specially trained to operate starship’s and station’s embedded weapon systems. Gunnery crew and officers are trained to operate and maintain all missile platforms, rail guns and the rare energy projectile cannons. Traditionally Fleet vessels are armed with a relatively limited array of weaponry as few ships outside of the Fleet have access to mounted armament that can match the Fleet’s.
- Mech Drivers [Mech] - With the arrival of the alien Krukari invaders and their utilization of massive swarms of armed bio-drones, the Fleet has been forced to revamp their space combat operations. The handful of large weapon platforms proved entirely unable to target enough attacking drones to be of much use. Hence, the development of mobile, mechanized gun platforms - mechs - that can be deployed to the outer hull of vessels and stations without incurring the expensive and time-consuming efforts of remodeling. Soldiers, and some pilots, have been trained to operate these large gun suits. An additional use for the mechs has been for construction and heavy cargo lifting.
Uniform Color: Emerald
The newest addition to the operations of Citadel Fleet is the Division of Flight. Instated two years ago as a necessary reaction to the Krukari incursion and the alien’s radically different combat methodology, elements of Fleet Tactical and Science Divisions were combined to form a combat component of small fighter craft and drones to meet the Krukari swarms of attack bio-mechs.
Flight Division crew and officers are responsible for piloting fleet shuttlecraft, large vessel navigation and for guiding the brand new combat drones via virtual-reality transmissions. They also are responsible for all astrometric data gathering and implementation for helm navigation and star-charting.
The primary departments of Flight are:
- Navigation [Helm] - the navigators and helm operators of the Fleet’s large space craft formerly served in Tactical. Utilizing jump gate technology and the intricate calculations involved to compensate for cosmic gravimetrics is quite complex, even with the aid of computers so helm operators need to be sharp-minded and able to react to changing circumstances quickly.
- Astrodynamics [Adym] - is the department, also shifted from Science Division, responsible for researching, detecting, measuring and analyzing the composition and nature of stellar bodies and phenomenon, including that of streaming space. Utilization of onboard sensor equipment is tasked to these men and women.
- Shuttle Pilots [PiSh] - the men and women responsible for operating Fleet small craft are collectively called shuttle pilots. Atmospheric drop craft, cargo transports, crew haulers and the newly-appointed mech droppers (used to take gun mechs onto planet surfaces) are all in the purview of these pilots.
- Fighter Pilots [PiFt] - With the development of small fighter drones a new type of virtual reality pilot needed to be trained to operate them. These men and women fly the fighter craft via remote links in an effort to combat the swarms of Krukari attack bio-mechs. An ongoing rivalry between the “fliers” and the “tanks” has arisen. The mech drivers of Tactical Division claim they are the braver warriors since they physically pilot their mobile gun platforms while the fighter pilots stay all safe and cozy in their VR cockpits aboard ship.
Uniform Color: Nickel
The Division of Operations is primarily responsible for the design, building, maintenance, and repair of all computerized systems within the fleet. From hardware to software to interstellar communications the OPS crew and officers keep the fleet functioning. The Operations division is also in charge of supplies, cargo and inventory aboard ship and bases as well as the ongoing operational (non-department specific) training for all personnel.
Due to the Manual Systems Implementation Law the use of networked systems is strictly controlled. All digital systems have the ability to be interconnected but must, at all times, be overseen by live crew who have the ability to immediately shut down any one system via genetically-encoded safety protocols built into their uniform’s circuitry.
- Computers [Comp] - the engineers that build, manage and maintain the computer systems built into ships, stations and equipment - including Fleet uniforms - serve in the Software Department.
- Safety [Safe] - a lot of work goes into inspecting and maintaining sanitation protocols, handling hazardous materials,waste and fire-control systems. Damage control teams serve in this department and often work in tandem with structural and environmental engineers. Recently the handling of ordinance has been transferred to this department.
- Supply [Sply] - People who get posted to cargo and supply duties are often folk who have failed to prove any other useful skill sets and as such are generally considered to be the “trash collectors” of fleet service. Not only do they take care of physical cargo and supplies but they are also responsible for keeping omni-directional 3D printers and chemical “grow tech-baths” supplied with biological and chemical raw ingredients. Supply workers are usually given cleanup detail duties.
- Communications [Coms] - the computer specialists that utilize the complex systems involved in maintaining long-range communications - via the jump gates and streaming space - are a cross between computer engineers and quantum scientists. They also work to maintain constant and effective close range and onboard dialogue between crew, officers and missions.
- Training [Tran] - while each department has specialized training regimens for their workers, the Training Department is specifically responsible for making sure all personnel are up to date on Fleet protocols and use of cross-discipline equipment. While most training utilizes virtual reality simulations, it still requires a live person to implement the session. These specialists are also the primary teachers of cadets and new crew. They are cross-subject instructors.
Uniform Color: Gold
The people in charge of research, experimentation and development of the hard sciences in the Fleet work in the Division of Sciences. While the life sciences of biology, botany, zoology and bio-chemistry are the purview of the Health Division and the Division of Agency governs the social sciences of sociology and anthropology the Science Division specializes in physics, chemistry, the planetary sciences of geology-oceanography-meteorology and the various cosmic disciplines of astronomy.
The application of astronomy has been handed over to the newly-founded Division of Flight since the complexity of faster-than-light travel through streaming space is intrinsically pertinent to navigation.
It is often required for scientists to work closely with R&D engineers and/or software developers of Operations when it comes to creating experimental technologies. It is not uncommon for crew and officers to switch departments between Science, Engineering and Operations a time or two in their career if technological development is one of their primary jobs since there is so much overlap of expertise, especially in weapon and propulsion development. Lately many astro-physicists have been transferred into Flight division in order to serve in Astrometrics and Astrodynamics.
- Chemistry [Chem] - these scientists deal with the composition and properties of substances and various elementary forms of matter.
- Physics [Phys] - these scientists study matter, energy, motion and force
- Mathematics [Math] - this discipline covers not only theoretical and applied computation but many non-categorized “thinkers” get placed in this department to simply use their brain power to address hypothetical notions.
- Geo-Hydrology [GeHy] - one of the two primary science disciplines involved in the ever-ongoing terraforming of new planets is Geo-Hydrology. These scientists specialize in studying the geological viability of planets as well as the utilization of existing water resources.
- Meteorology [Metr] - one of the two primary science disciplines involved in the ever-ongoing terraforming of new planets is meteorology. These scientists study the working of atmospheric conditions and weather upon planets.
Uniform Color: Sapphire
The Division of Health is responsible maintaining the physical, dietary and mental health of all fleet members and it covers all life science research and implementation (biology, bio-chemistry, botany, zoology, genetics and bioethics).
Woven deeply into the aspect of interstellar travel and colonization of new planets is the specific dietary needs of each member of the Fleet. Life scientists work closely with the Science Department in order to determine a planet’s viability for terraforming and then upon implementation of growing crops and raising livestock.
- Medical [Medi] - The Medical Department is responsible for the care and treatment of Fleet personnel’s physical health. Medics treat injuries and disease while doctors operate as researchers in everything from gene therapy to new disease treatment.
- Counseling [Cnsl] - The Counseling department is comprised of mental health professionals who are charged with researching and treating mental diseases as well as offering therapy to relieve anxiety and emotional stress. It is not uncommon for Counselors to work away missions with the Diplomatic and Social-Anthropology Departments.
- Bio-Chemistry [BiCh] - these scientists study the chemical processes of living organisms and often specialize in the dietary ramifications posed by the unique genetic needs of each of the Citadel races and their food sources. They also work with supply specialist and help design and maintain production equipment and food supplies. Dietitians and nutritionists also work in this department.
- Zoology [Zool] - these biologists specialize in studying and researching animals. Small pet are allowed onboard vessels and stations as they have proven to help with crew morale. Some zoologists are also veterinarians.
- Botany [Btny] - these biologists specialize in studying and researching plants. Many of the systems onboard Fleet ships and stations utilize biological tech based on plants, primarily power conduit systems. Some botanists work closely with engineers to with help maintenance and repair.
Uniform Color: Amethyst
The men and women who keep things intact and operating onboard vessels and stations and the people who invent new technology serve in the Division of Engineering. While there is a fair amount of overlap of duties with the computer engineers of the Operations Division it is the Engineering Corps that maintain most all of the physical components and structures of the fleet.
Specialists within the division are responsible for a wide variety of duties and work in one of these departments:
- Structural Engineers [Strc] - responsible for the maintenance and repair of physical facilities such as the interior and exteriors of ships and stations. They can also be designers of vehicles and buildings.
- Environmental Engineers [Envr] - care for the large-scale equipment that maintains suitable living conditions aboard ships and stations. Artificial gravity, atmosphere scrubbers, water filtration and hydroponic equipment.
- Appliance Engineers [Devc] - the specialists that design, maintain and repair small tools and devices, including the elaborate functions of each uniform. They are colloquially called the “toy tinkers” by many in the fleet. Some of them work on large scale equipment such as terraforming machinery.
- Weapon Engineers [Wepn] - are the experts that design and maintain hand-held and vessel weapon systems.
- Propulsion Engineers [Prop] - are the experts that design and service the complex ship engines as well as the fleet FTL gate network. They generally work in close tandem with the Physics, Astrodynamic and Astrometric Departments. Some of them also specialize in small vehicle engines for mechs, fighter drones and shuttles.
UNIFORM Color: Copper