As a die-hard fan of the Malazan Empire series of novels by Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esselmont, I have been tossing about game concepts based on their work for a number of years. Something clicked in April (2012) and the concepts poured out of my head faster than Coll could vomit up last night’s ale binge.
Two types of games are all the rage right now in the table-top arena: deck-building card games and co-operative games. As this project proceeded (it is by no means anything official or even endorsed by the authors at this point) we decided to design the game to be both styles together.
That's not to say that, should the project continue, there won't be editions that are contentious, but to begin with, it's co-operative which also means it can be played solo.
So, with the hopes that you, our fellow Malazan Tales of the Fallen fans, will enjoy this "alpha version" of our game concept and that you will feel free to share your thoughts, reactions and ideas with us….here is the first draft of the rules:
Basic Rules and Gameplay 1.1
(click on the images to download a PDF)
Player Cards Event & Episode Cards 1.1 Objective Card
- Print onto white card stock (these PDFs are set in 8.5"x11" size paper)
- One copy of the Objective and Base of Operations cards
- Player Cards Page 1 (6-10 copies)
- Player Cards Pages 2-4 (1 copy each)
- Player Cards Pages 5-9 (2-3 copies of each)
- Event Cards Pages 1-4 (2-3 copies of each)
- Event Cards Page 5 (1 copy)
- If you are playing solo games print the smaller number of pages. If you are playing with 2 players print the higher number.